Several years ago the James Morgan Chapter and the Thaddeus Kosciuszko Chapter, both active in Milwaukee and surrounding communities, merged to become the Morgan-Kosciuszko Chapter, becoming one of the larger chapters in the Wisconsin Society, Sons of the American Revolution.
James Morgan and Thaddeus Kosciuszko, Patriots
James Morgan was born April 5, 1748, in Frederick County, Virginia. While a resident of Monongalia County, Virginia, Morgan, age 30, enlisted in August of 1778 for three months in Captain James Brenton's Company of Colonel John Evan's Virginia Regiment. He was in General Lachlan McIntosh's campaign into the Ohio country and assisted in erecting Fort McIntosh and Fort Laurens.
Morgan re-enlisted at Morgantown, Virginia, in 1779 for a three-month term with Captain Samuel Mason's Company of Colonel Daniel Brodhead's Pennsylvania Regiment and participated in the expedition against the Indian towns on the Allegany. Morgan was enlisted as a scout and spy against the Indians. This final tour was with Colonel Evans.
James Morgan resided in Morgantown, Virginia, until 1820 when he moved to Vermillion County, Illinois. He subsequently moved to Wauwatosa in the late 1830's. There he died at age 92 on March 3, 1840, and was buried in the Wauwatosa Cemetery.
Thaddeus Kosciuszko was born in Poland on February 4, 1746, the son of Ludwik and Tekla Kosciuszko. He attended school in Lubieszow and then Cadet Academy in Warsaw before continuing his engineering studies in Paris, France. By the time Thaddeus arrived in America from Poland in 1776, he was a skilled engineer who came to offer his services to the American colonies in their struggle for independence. On October 18, 1776, Kosciuszko was commissioned as Colonel of Engineers by the Continental Congress and began his outstanding service of fortifying battle sites, many of which became turning points in America's fight for independence against the British.
There is a statue of of this Patriot in Kosciuszko Park, 2201 S. 7th Street, Milwaukee, and the Kosciuszko Community Center is located near the park.