Capt. Hendrick Aupaumut Chapter

[Originally posted 24 January 2007]

(This is an attempt to create a history of the chapter. Harley Taft Green did the vast majority of the organizational work.)

The resolution founding the chapter at Green Bay Fox River Valley was dated 25 July 1969. The charter was dated 24 October 1969 and signed by James B. Gardiner, President General. The Charter Night was held at the Beaumont Hotel in Green Bay. Nearly all the chapter members were present. Also in attendance was Pres. Gen. James Gardiner of New York, Past Pres. Gen. Len Young Smith of Illinois, State Pres. Ron Baymiller, State Secy. Niles Allen and a number of other state officers. Members of other chapters also were present.

Chapter Officers

President: Russell M. Buhr
Vice President: Robert E. Johnson
Secretary: Randolph Lee Will
Treasurer: James D. Waid

A number of awards were presented. The Silver Good Citizenship award was presented to Rev. Joe Head for his efforts with the Liberty Bell program. He visited schools with a replica of the Liberty Bell and explained its significance. The bell is now on display at the National SAR Headquarters in Louisville, Kentucky. Another Silver Good Citizenship medal was presented to Fr. Ansel Keefe, 32nd Division Chaplain. The SAR Medal of appreciation was presented to Mrs. Berniece Miller of Bowler and to Mrs. Frederick Trowbridge of Green Bay.

Mrs. Miller is a Stockbridge Indian who provided information about both Capt. Hendrick Aupaumut and Jacob Konkapot who both served in the Revolutionary War. There is a most interesting museum in Bowler that deals with much of this history. Mrs. Trowbrige was helpful in the location of potential members for the chapter.

Founding members of the chapter were George H. Crowell, Harley Taft Green, Harley Tomkins Green, Harold E. Gridley Jr., William E. Hammett, James Horn, Warren E. Jenkins, Charles J. Larson, Frederick N. Trowbridge Sr., Frederick N. Trowbridge Jr. and Robert D. Williams.

The following are the Charter Members: Claude A. Burgard, David A. Burgard, John C. Gower, Harley Thomas Green, Donald E. Kelley and Samuel E. Kelley. Of these, three are still members of the chapter: Harley Taft Green, Donald Kelley and Charles J. Larson.

Officers elected were Harley Taft Green, President, Robert D. Williams, Vice President and Charles J. Larson, Secretary-Treasurer.

The chapter officers through current year of 2000–2001:

1970–1972 Charles J. Larson, President; Robert D. Williams, Secretary-Treasurer
1972–1973 Robert D. Williams, President; Phillip Truesdell, Secretary-Treasurer
1973–1976 Claude Burgard, President; Robert D. Williams, Secretary-Treasurer
1976–1977 Harold Gridley, President; Robert D. Williams, Secretary-Treasurer
1977–1988 Robert D. Williams, President; Charles J. Larson, Secretary-Treasurer
1988–1990 Carl Keen, President; Paul Roth, Secretary; Charles J. Larson, Treasurer
1990–1992 Paul Roth, President; Robert Williams, Vice President; Gilbert Keyes, Secretary; Charles J. Larson, Treasurer
1992–1994 Charles J. Larson, President; Paul Roth, Vice President; Gilbert Keyes, Secretary; Michael Brace Treasurer
1994–2000 Fr. Robert Carson, President; Paul Roth, Vice President; Gilbert Keyes, Secretary; Michael Brace, Treasurer
2000–2001 James Waid, President; Charles J. Larson, Vice President; Lee Will, Secretary; Michael Brace, Treasurer

Two members of the chapter have served as State President: Harley Green 1975–76 and Charles J. Larson 1996–97. Claude Burgard served as State Treasurer. Green and Larson also have held other state offices during the 1970s. Pastor Robert Miskomen served as State Chaplain in the 1970s. David Larson was the first Color Guard Commander.

This year (2000–2001), Fr. Robert Carson is serving as State Chaplain, James Waid is currently 2nd Vice President of the State SAR, and Charles Larson is Alternate Trustee of the National SAR. The current state C.A.R. President, Travis Kuhlka, is a member of the Aupaumut Chapter.

Three students from the chapter area have been State Representatives in the national oration contest. Russell Lowe in 1976, Mark Howard in 1977, and Douglas Snyder in 1978.

Records show that the first chapter picnic was held in 1976. It was not a regular event until the past 15 years. The picnic is now a statewide event that includes some DAR and C.A.R. representation. It has been held at the Larson farm near Amherst.

(The above information about the Capt. Hendrick Aupaumut Chapter SAR was prepared by Compatriot Charles J. Larson the Summer of 2000.)

Our Namesake

Drawn portrait of Capt. Aupaumut

Drawn portrait of Capt. Aupaumut

Hendrick Aupaumut (ca. 1775-1829) was born about 1757 in Stockbridge, Massachusetts. He was a resident in Stockbridge at the time of his initial enlistment in the Revolutionary Forces, June 23, 1775. Aupaumut served as a private in Captain William Goodrich'sDrawn portrait of Capt. Hendrick Aupaumut Company of Indians in Colonel John Patterson's Regiment, according to a muster roll dated August 1, 1775. Colonel Patterson's Regiment was stationed with the army near Boston and may have been present at the battle of Bunker Hill, although Colonel Patterson's Regiment was under orders from general Artemas Ward, stationed with Colonel Thomas Gardner's Regiment at the redoubt on Prospect Hill. The redoubt was one of the major fortifications protecting the Cambridge Road.

Aupaumut is recorded as having received the enlistment bounty of "an overcoat or equivalent money" on February 27, 1776, and also that he was present at Van Schaik's Island on September 5, 1777, when he received thirty flints for use of the Indians. By 1778 Aupaumut had become a lieutenant in Captain Ninham's Company of Indians and the same year, in a battle in which Washington's Army engaged the British at Three Plains, Aupaumut received a battlefield promotion to Captain. Captain Aupaumut had been present at Saratoga, as well as other actions as a scout for American forces. He re-enlisted regularly and remained in the service through 1782. After the war, in 1791, he was presented a sword by General Washington. Captain Aupaumut re-enlisted with the army during the war of 1812 and served under General William Henry Harrison.

In 1821 Hendrick Aupaumut moved with his people to lands they had purchased from the Menominee Indians near Green Bay, with the idea of establishing a new colony. Captain Aupaumut died in September, 1829, and is buried on the Frank Thelen farm in the old Stockbridge Indian Cemetery near Kaukauna, Wisconsin.

(For some additional information about Capt. Aupaumut and American Indians during the Revolutionary War period, visit Stockbridge-Munsee History)